Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical Christian housing organization. The work of Habitat is driven by the desire to give tangible expression to God’s love through the work of eliminating poverty housing. Even though Habitat is a Christian-based organization, our partner families, volunteers, and staff come from all different faith traditions.
Habitat provides an opportunity for people to put their faith into action and join together with other partners in faith to build homes and community. Churches, temples, mosques and coalitions partner to provide support to Habitat’s local and global mission each year by contributing volunteers and financial resources.
Coalitions of faith groups have come together to build many Habitat for Humanity homes in King County. Coalitions raise the money and provide the labor and prayer support to build homes in partnership with local families.
To join or start a coalition, please contact email@example.com.
Habitat’s Interfaith Build has been taking place in King County for over 15 years. Started as a grassroots effort under the name “Together We Build,” in response to 9/11, our ongoing local Interfaith Build demonstrates the power of working together across cultural divisions in a spirit of Love to build a better world.
Join our diverse group of faith partners in September/October each year for Interfaith Build, or join our mailing list to find out about other Interfaith activities throughout the year. Learn more>>
*An Interfaith Blessing of Habitat’s Sammamish Site and incoming families will take place February 12. Contact us for more information.
For more information on Habitat’s Interfaith activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because of the richness of faith communities, faith volunteers play a large part in the life of Habitat. Depending on the blessings in your community, you may want to consider these or other ways of getting involved:
- Volunteer groups: Organize time for a group from your community to build on site with us
- Individual volunteers: Consider joining us in our office, on a committee, in our stores, or on a special project
- Retirees: People with consistent free time may sometimes join our crew of “Regulars” on construction sites or in our stores. It’s a great way to build community and stay active. Contact us to find the right fit for you
- Youth groups: Before children can safely enter our construction sites at age 16, they can host bake sales, write notes of encouragement for our incoming families, and more
- Meal support: Faith volunteers can help coordinate and deliver meals to support our construction site volunteers
- Facilities support: If your facility is located near a Habitat project or in a central location, consider offering space for parking or our special events.
Do you know a family in need of housing? Join our mailing list to hear and share about upcoming Family Information Sessions, where prospective families can learn about partnering with Habitat and start the process.
Faith volunteers often make great Family Support Partners, who tutor, mentor, and work alongside families as they build and learn about becoming a homeowner.
To learn how you can get involved supporting Habitat Families, contact email@example.com.
Faith communities who believe in stable housing for low-income families have supported Habitat in many ways, from faithful monthly donations to financially supporting entire homes.
Consider these ways faith groups have supported Habitat:
- Special offerings: Support Habitat with a one-time collection from your community
- Missional giving: Include Habitat in the missions that your community plans to support on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Holiday giving: Invite or support us through your Alternative Gift Fair, share the proceeds from Poinsettia sales, or make an end-of-year gift to Habitat
- Benefit events: King County faith partners have created unique events in their communities to raise significant support for low-income homeownership, from Rummage Sales to Fundraising Breakfast events
- Land & distributions: If you have property that is no longer serving your mission, Habitat can ensure land and facilities serve the needs of our most needy for generations to come. We have also helped churches at the end of their life cycle create a lasting legacy.
To discuss an offering to Habitat, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-866-7599.
Please note, Habitat for Humanity Seattle – King County is the only Habitat that builds homes locally in King County. We also tithe 10% of our unrestricted income to build homes overseas.
Pray continually for the work of Habitat: for volunteers’ safety on the jobsite, for Habitat families through their transition to stable lives, and for the steadfastness of our staff and donors.
If you share your community prayer requests via social media, please include us using @HabitatSKC.