Meet Our Families
Every family deserves a decent place to call home and our families come from all around the world, each with their own story of how they went from point A to point B. Regardless of where one comes from everyone deserves a decent place to call home
Each of these families has put in their sweat equity to make to it where they are today. Working through our homeowner services program on a regular basis whether it be on site, in the stores, or in our office, they have put in an allotted amount of hours to purchase their home for their family through our program.
Ultimately, every family needs a place to call home as it provides them an opportunity to grow and build generational wealth. We at Habitat congratulate each family on obtaining their home, their journeys are not often easy, but hard work pays off. Here are their stories.
- Critical Home Repair Spotlight: SandraSandra Browne is a single, 83-year-old woman whose grandfather was an enslaved person from the Deep South. In 1884, after slavery had legally ended in America, her grandfather moved to the Seattle area to escape racism and discrimination, and to search for better opportunities for his family and himself. Ever since, the family has lived […]
- Critical Repair Spotlight: EdnaEdna is a senior living in White Center and is the primary caregiver for her disabled adult son. She contacted Habitat SKC with concerns about a tree on her property that was damaging her home and potentially threatening the foundation. Habitat’s repair team met with Edna to assess the project and scope of the work. […]
- Homeowner Spotlight: The Gardner FamilyJune 9, 2021 For the past several years, Emily Gardner and her two sons were living in a two-bedroom apartment in an urban neighborhood of Seattle. As a single mom, while she is lucky to have kept her job during the pandemic, her hours had been cut, and her rent and other necessary living expenses […]
- 35 Families in 35 DaysIn honor of our 35th anniversary, we’re celebrating 35 families we’ve helped serve over the years! Countdown: 35 Days April’s home in Federal Way was the first home that Habitat and Delta Airlines partnered to build in 2013, providing her family with a 100-percent, handicapped-accessible home for her disabled son. Today, April has plans to […]
- Homeowner Spotlight: Elizabeth Almejo“AAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHH! I feel like a soccer player who just scored a Goal!” “GOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!” “You have to have watched Latin soccer games to know what I’m talking about!” These were Elizabeth’s first messages to the Habitat team when she received confirmation of the closing on her home this winter. Elizabeth and her five-year-old […]
- Spotlight on Habitat’s Repairs Program: LulaLula has lived in her home in south Seattle for nearly thirty years. Her parents originally purchased the home and Lula moved in with her then, toddler-aged daughter. The house has become the center of Lula’s family – the place where she raised her daughter and has fostered friendships for almost three decades. Lula hopes […]